Safari Ltd. Painted Giant Sloth Megatherium Bear Figure
Ships FREE in the USAShipping calculated at checkout.
Megatherium, the so-called ‘giant sloth’, was a massive ground-dwelling relative of modern sloths. This particular species, Megatherium americanum, was the largest of its kind. It browsed for plants in South America during the Pleistocene and became extinct just ten thousand years ago.
- History: Megatherium americanum was first named scientifically in 1796 by the eminent French anatomist and ‘father of palaeontology’, Georges Cuvier. He recognized it was an extinct giant sloth, which was significant at the time because the concept of prehistory was only just being understood. He named it Megatherium, which means ‘large beast’.
- Scientific Name: Megatherium americanum
- Characteristics: Megatherium americanum was a large plant-eating mammal with stubby legs and relatively long arms. It was covered with hair and had a blunt skull with strong grinding teeth, which can all be seen on our expertly sculpted Giant Sloth toy. It had a broad pelvis and a short tail, and could balance in a squat tripod pose. The large claws on its hands helped it to pull down branches to feed on leaves, and it may have also had a long tongue. It reached 20 feet long – the size of an elephant.
- Size: This Giant Sloth toy figure is 4.5 inches high and 3.5 inches long.
- The Giant Sloth is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection.
- All products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
- Item #274129
Ships FREE in the USA
We Also Recommend
Barzso Vintage Painted Fort Apache Boonesborough Blockhouse Gate
Barzso Vintage Hand Painted Von Steuben's Revolutionary War Camp Playset Cabin